The primary responsibilities of the Sales Engineer are to establish, maintain and expand profitable relationships with customers on behalf of the company. The outside salesperson is the company’s primary contact with the customer and therefore must exhibit expertise and knowledge of HVAC products and systems to be able to apply the products that we represent in a way that meets our customer’s needs. The ideal candidate exercises strong judgment and demonstrates a commitment to the success of the company by positively supporting the company’s directives and objectives.
- Generate and process profitable business with your assigned account base.
- Promote products and systems to Mechanical Engineers and Architects (even though these firms do not directly purchase equipment from the company).
- Go to facilities and physically examine existing equipment in mechanical rooms, rooftops and above ceilings for replacement.
- Promote the companies and products we represent by presenting material in one-on-one and “box lunch” presentations.
- Promote yourself and your relationship with customers by hosting breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
- Promote the companies and products we represent by organizing visits to manufacturing facilities across the US and Canada.
- Entertain customers and build customer relations by organizing events such as golf trips, ski trips, fishing trips, etc.
- Daily functions shall include phone and email support of customer’s needs.
- Interface with the “inside sales” staff, sales administration staff, and service organization staff in a professional and responsive manner.
- Be available for “spur of the moment” job site meetings, plan reviews, equipment problem resolution meetings, etc.
- Be responsible for bid preparation, equipment proposals, negotiating pricing levels, closing orders, equipment installation assistance, and warranty issues as they arise.
- Attend and participate in industry educational activities such as ASHRAE and manufacturer-hosted seminars.
- Assist the accounts receivable department as required to collect funds.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager.
Qualifications/Experience: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field. 3 + years’ experience in sales.
Interpersonal Skills: Ability to relate to people on many levels (both internal and external). Ability to communicate with people tactfully and with diplomacy and professionalism.
Language Skills: EXCELLENT written and oral communication skills. Ability to read and interpret general business documents.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures such as discounts, percentages, etc.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems with customers and staff. Strong initiative and decision-making skills required. Creative thinker with data driven analytical aptitude.
Computer Skills: Microsoft skills required (Outlook, Excel, Word). Salesforce preferred.
Organizational Skills: Ability to plan, stay organized, and focused throughout the day.
Ability to Multi-Task: Perform tasks simultaneously.
Professionalism: Represents the company in a professional manner regarding interaction with your team, customers, and corporate personnel.
Work Schedule: Typically, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Must show up on time for all required shifts.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to frequently lift up to 10 lbs., occasionally lift up to 25 lbs., and to rarely lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend, twist and squat in order to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time while performing job functions.
- Ability to perform repetitive movements for data entry.
- Ability to work on a computer throughout the day.
**The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.